In this article, we'll showcase how to install Visual Studio Code (VSC), a multi-language applicable code editor, for Windows. If you'd like to install VSC for Mac, see this article instead: How to Install Visual Studio Code for Mac
Installing VSC for Windows
1. Navigate to the VSC page at https://code.visualstudio.com/ and select the big blue download button that says "Download for Windows" (your OS should be automatically selected).
2. Once the download completes, open the installation wizard to start the installation process.
3. Follow through the installation wizard prompts. We recommend leaving everything with the default properties, but you can customize the installation where you feel comfortable to do so.
4. After installation completes, simply launch VSC to start using it!
In order to use VSC properly with any language, you will need to download that language's extension to access various support features. To access the extensions:
1. From the left-hand side menu, click the four stacked boxes to open the VSC Extensions page.
2. Use the search bar to locate a specific extension required for whatever language you want to develop with (Python, C++, HTML/CSS, etc.). Once you locate the extension, simply click on it to view more information about it.
3. On the Extension page, hit the Install button to install the extension.
Once the extension installs, you should be ready to start developing. Please note, though, that some extensions (like C++) may require further configurations.